Blokhin returns to Dynamo Kiev as coach
Kiev: Oleg Blokhin was appointed coach of Dynamo Kiev football club, returning to the club where he became one of the world`s top strikers in the 1970s and 1980s.
The move Tuesday opens a vacancy with the Ukraine national team, which Blokhin will leave after seeing the team through its final two World Cup qualifiers of the year, against Moldova and Montenegro next month.
"Renowned Dynamo football player and Ukraine national team coach Oleg Blokhin has been named as the head coach of FC Dynamo Kiev," the club said in a website statement.
Dynamo suggested that Blokhin would only start work at the club after Ukraine`s game with Montenegro Oct 16.
"After this the coach will be able to focus on his club work," Dynamo said.
Blokhin has signed a four-year deal and will meet the team Wednesday, the club said.
Despite Blokhin`s legendary status in Ukrainian football, the Dynamo job is the first time he has coached a domestic club side in the country.
Blokhin holds the records for most appearances and most goals in the Soviet league, scoring 211 times in 436 games, and won 112 caps for the Soviet Union.
Since retiring as a player in 1990, he has spent most of his time coaching in Greece, with a brief spell in the Russian league.
He coached the Ukrainian national team between 2003 and 2007 before returning last year to guide his country through their first home tournament, Euro 2012.
In his last match, Ukraine drew 1-1 with England at Wembley in a World Cup qualifier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row