Blokhin returns to Dynamo Kiev as coach
Kiev: Oleg Blokhin was appointed coach of Dynamo Kiev football club, returning to the club where he became one of the world`s top strikers in the 1970s and 1980s.
The move Tuesday opens a vacancy with the Ukraine national team, which Blokhin will leave after seeing the team through its final two World Cup qualifiers of the year, against Moldova and Montenegro next month.
"Renowned Dynamo football player and Ukraine national team coach Oleg Blokhin has been named as the head coach of FC Dynamo Kiev," the club said in a website statement.
Dynamo suggested that Blokhin would only start work at the club after Ukraine`s game with Montenegro Oct 16.
"After this the coach will be able to focus on his club work," Dynamo said.
Blokhin has signed a four-year deal and will meet the team Wednesday, the club said.
Despite Blokhin`s legendary status in Ukrainian football, the Dynamo job is the first time he has coached a domestic club side in the country.
Blokhin holds the records for most appearances and most goals in the Soviet league, scoring 211 times in 436 games, and won 112 caps for the Soviet Union.
Since retiring as a player in 1990, he has spent most of his time coaching in Greece, with a brief spell in the Russian league.
He coached the Ukrainian national team between 2003 and 2007 before returning last year to guide his country through their first home tournament, Euro 2012.
In his last match, Ukraine drew 1-1 with England at Wembley in a World Cup qualifier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'