Boca Juniors ink deal with Beijing
Buenos Aires: Boca Juniors Wednesday signed an agreement with the Chinese government to train budding Chinese football players in Argentina.
At the ceremony at a leading hotel in downtown Buenos Aires, Daniel Angelici, the president of the club, pledged to "continue working" with China, adding "Boca always aims to be a pioneer in these instances of exchange," reports Xinhua.
Boca is one of the two most popular teams in the country, along with River Plate, and the Chinese youth will be lodged at the club `s sports facility and guest house at La Bombonera Stadium in the La Boca district of Buenos Aires, to train and "get to know the World of Boca," said Angelici.
The cultural attache at the Chinese embassy in Buenos Aires, Han Mengtang, said it was "very important for the Chinese youth to come and learn world class football."
Han underscored Argentina`s performance at the 2014 Brazil World Cup, where the team made it to the finals, losing 1-0 to Germany Sunday.
"It was an exciting World Cup," noted Han, saying that "in the seven games they played we have seen Argentina were the world`s best."
"Many Chinese are fans of Argentina`s national team and of Argentine clubs," Han said.
The accord initially calls for 60 junior players from Beijing to arrive in Argentina, in three stages, for training with Boca and a series of friendly games.
Later, as part of the second phase of the agreement, Argentine coaches will travel to Beijing, to share their techniques with coaches and trainers there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter