Bologna`s Diamanti relieves pressure on under-fire Pioli
Rome: A long-range strike from Alessandro Diamanti helped struggling Bologna beat Genoa 1-0 and move out of the relegation zone, relieving some of the pressure on manager Stefano Pioli.
Diamanti`s drilled near-post finish after a smart passing move in the 57th minute gave the hosts their third win of the season to break a six-match winless streak and move them up to 17th in Serie A.
After a brief resurgence under Gian Piero Gasperini, Genoa are now without a win in five and stay ninth.
According to local media reports, Bologna chairman Albano Guaraldi wants Italy great Roberto Baggio to replace Pioli, who received a huge show of support from home fans.
His position as coach, however, is still uncertain despite the win.
League leaders Juventus travel to Atalanta (1400 GMT) looking to extend their five-point lead on unbeaten AS Roma, who host Catania (1400), while the Milan derby (1945) ushers Serie A into its winter break.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city