Borussia Dortmund win domestic double beating Bayern Munich
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Germany: Borussia Dortmund blew away the challenge from 2012 Champions League finalist Bayern Munich as the Bundesliga Champions routed the Bavarians 5-2 to clinch the German Cup, DFB Pokal.
Dortmund’s star striker Robert Lewandowski scored a hat-trick as defender Mats Hummels converted a penalty and Shinji Kagawa also found the net.
For Bayern, Arjen Robben converted a first half penalty and French international and Bayern playmaker Frank Ribery found the net in the second half.
With this victory Die Borussen scripted history by winning their first domestic double for the first time in their 103 year history.
"That was a cup final which no one from Dortmund could have better imagined," beamed Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp after his first cup win.
"We cannot complain. Our entire defensive play was a catastrophe," admitted Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes.
"We have to take the blame and we did not deserve to win. We still have a major goal in mind and I think we will have all recovered from the shock by the Champions League final. That will be a completely different game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM