Borussia Dortmund win domestic double beating Bayern Munich
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Germany: Borussia Dortmund blew away the challenge from 2012 Champions League finalist Bayern Munich as the Bundesliga Champions routed the Bavarians 5-2 to clinch the German Cup, DFB Pokal.
Dortmund’s star striker Robert Lewandowski scored a hat-trick as defender Mats Hummels converted a penalty and Shinji Kagawa also found the net.
For Bayern, Arjen Robben converted a first half penalty and French international and Bayern playmaker Frank Ribery found the net in the second half.
With this victory Die Borussen scripted history by winning their first domestic double for the first time in their 103 year history.
"That was a cup final which no one from Dortmund could have better imagined," beamed Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp after his first cup win.
"We cannot complain. Our entire defensive play was a catastrophe," admitted Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes.
"We have to take the blame and we did not deserve to win. We still have a major goal in mind and I think we will have all recovered from the shock by the Champions League final. That will be a completely different game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!