Bradford 1-1 Arsenal: Vermaelen miss sends Gunners crashing out
The Bantams take the win on penalties to move into the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup, with three Gunners players missing their spot kicks and two hitting the woodwork
The Bantams took the lead after just 15 minutes thanks to Garry Thompson’s superb volley and both teams created further chances but were unable to take advantage of them.
Their defence almost managed to keep their Premier League opponents at bay throughout the second half, but Vermaelen scored in the 87th minute to force extra time.
Extra time remained goalless and penalties were required to separate the two teams, with Bradford prevailing thanks to three misses from their illustrious opponents.
The home side selected their strongest possible team for this fourth round tie, with Gary Jones captaining the Bantams, who currently sit fourth in the League Two table.
Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger selected a strong side, with Jack Wilshere handed a start in the midfield and Gervinho leading the line up front.
The home side took the lead in the 15th minute with their first real chance, as after a free kick caused havoc in the Arsenal box, Thompson volleyed home to give them an early advantage.
Bradford had the momentum after taking a surprise lead, while the away side struggled to penetrate their opponents’ defence.
However, the home side came close to an equaliser in the 37th minute, as after some superb trickery, Francis Coquelin struck an early shot against the post that bounced away to safety.
Gervinho then could not get on the end of a fizzing cross from yards out, before Bradford almost scored a late second as Nahki Wells sent a shot just wide after a James Hanson knock-down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands