Brazil coach Menezes vows to win 2014 World Cup
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil coach Mano Menezes is confident of leading the team to victory in the 2014 football World Cup.
Menezes has had mixed fortunes since taking charge of the team after the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Among the disappointments was a quarterfinal loss to Paraguay in the Copa America in Argentina last July.
But he believes the team is on track to atone for the recent inconsistency.
"We will win the World Cup," Menezes was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "We have a talented generation with a good attitude. The team is capable of dealing with the pressure of representing Brazil at such an important time.
"We are young but we also have mature players capable of giving the team balance. In the next few months, or certainly in the next year,it will become very clear for Brazil`s fans."
Menezes last month announced a 52-man squad for the London Olympics which will be cut to 35 June 8.
"We decided to name a big initial list because a lot can happen in three months but for those who are under 23, I already have a clearer idea."
Among the senior players being considered are Flamengo`s Ronaldinho, AC Milan`s Thiago Silva and Alexandre Pato, Barcelona`s Daniel Alves and Adriano, David Luiz (Chelsea), Luisao (Benfica), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Elias (Sporting de Portugal), Hernanes (Lazio) and Hulk(Porto).
Real Madrid`s Kaka and AC Milan`s Robinho were not included in Brazil`s preliminary squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?