Brazil police charged with assaulting World Cup protesters
Rio de Janeiro: Four officers of the Rio de Janeiro state police were detained Wednesday on charges of assaulting reporters and activists during a protest against the amount of public money Brazil spent to host the FIFA World Cup.
The arrests were made after several media outlets released video footage of Sunday`s demonstration in which police are seen attacking reporters and citizens, Efe quoted police sources as saying.
In one of the videos, an officer can be seen kicking Canadian journalist Jason O`Hara in the face while he was filming the demonstration near Rio de Janeiro`s Maracana stadium, the scene of the World Cup final between Argentina and Germany.
One of the four arrested officers is also accused of robbing and attacking photographer Mauro Pimentel.
The Journalists Union of the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro Monday said 15 reporters were injured by police while they were covering the demonstration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II