Brazil police charged with assaulting World Cup protesters
Rio de Janeiro: Four officers of the Rio de Janeiro state police were detained Wednesday on charges of assaulting reporters and activists during a protest against the amount of public money Brazil spent to host the FIFA World Cup.
The arrests were made after several media outlets released video footage of Sunday`s demonstration in which police are seen attacking reporters and citizens, Efe quoted police sources as saying.
In one of the videos, an officer can be seen kicking Canadian journalist Jason O`Hara in the face while he was filming the demonstration near Rio de Janeiro`s Maracana stadium, the scene of the World Cup final between Argentina and Germany.
One of the four arrested officers is also accused of robbing and attacking photographer Mauro Pimentel.
The Journalists Union of the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro Monday said 15 reporters were injured by police while they were covering the demonstration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read