Brazil were a bit lucky: Del Bosque
Brasilia: Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque reflected on his side’s 3-0 defeat in the Confederations Cup final to Brazil by claiming that the hosts had luck on their side for two of their goals.
Fred scored at the beginning of each half either side of a Neymar strike to clinch the trophy for the tournament hosts and end the 29-match unbeaten run of the world champions, who also saw Sergio Ramos miss a penalty and had Gerard Pique sent off.
And it was the Fluminese striker’s double in particular which caught the attention of Del Bosque as having an element of fortune attached, though he did not attempt to use it as an explanation for the loss.
“They maybe were a little bit lucky with their goals at the start of the first and the second halves,” said the 62-year-old to reporters after the match.
“But I will not make excuses for our loss. Brazil are the deserved winners and we have to congratulate them.”
But the former Real Madrid boss did recall a pivotal moment in the match towards the end of the first half, where David Luiz pulled off a spectacular goal-line clearance, moments before Neymar scored Brazil`s second at the other end.
“We could have been at 1-1, but instead it went to 2-0,” lamented the trainer.
Del Bosque, who oversaw Spain’s triumphant World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 campaigns, also felt that apart from the final, his team had a good experience contesting the tournament.
“I think that we have done a good Confederations Cup, except for today obviously. Brazil were simply better, nothing more," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon