Brazil would not have beaten Spain on neutral ground: Diego Maradona
Jakarta: Argentina legend Diego Maradona believes that Spain would not have lost the Confederations Cup final against Brazil had the game been played at a neutral venue.
The European and world champions were comfortably beaten 3-0 at the Maracana following a double from Fred either side of a Neymar strike and the 52-year-old feels the hostile environment affected Vicente del Bosque`s men.
"Spain were unlucky that the tournament was being played in Brazil. They looked promising. Brazil wouldn`t have beaten them had the game been played on neutral ground," he told reporters on a visit to Indonesia.
The Napoli icon then went on to praise Lionel Messi and stressed that the Barcelona star is still a cut above Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Messi remains the best in the world. He is still a better player than Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo."
Maradona also had his say on the 2014 World Cup and he is hopeful that Argentina can emerge victorious in Brazil.
"Next year`s World Cup belongs to South Americans. I hope Argentina will be crowned champions," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists