Brazilian football star on trial for killing lover
Rio de Janeiro: The trial of a former football star charged with orchestrating the kidnapping and gruesome murder of an ex-girlfriend has started with courtroom arguments that caused two lawyers to abandon the case, and with a tearful plea for justice from the victim`s mother.
The case of former Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes, known in Brazil just as Bruno, has riveted the country and shocked the world of soccer. Fernandes` accomplices allegedly held his former girlfriend, model Eliza Samudio, before killing her, quartering her, and feeding her remains to dogs.
Bruno, whose trial began Monday, was captain when he led his team to the Brazilian championship in 2009. That same year, Samudio made the first allegations to police that she was pregnant with Fernandes` child, and that the players and others kidnapped her and tried to force her to terminate the pregnancy.
She refused. The child was born healthy, and named Bruno as well. The model disappeared soon afterward, in June 2010. In December 2010, Fernandes was found guilty of Samudio`s initial accusations and is serving a prison sentence of four years and six months in that case. After a court dispute, Samudio`s mother was named the child`s guardian.
Bruno now faces a second trial, on charges he ordered his ex-girlfriend`s grisly death.
Investigators said the player was behind a scheme that lured the 25-year-old woman from Rio de Janeiro to a ranch in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais with the promise that Fernandes would recognise the child as his and give her an apartment. There she was allegedly held again her will by Fernandes` accomplices, killed and her remains were fed to dogs who roamed the property.
The first day of the murder trial in Minas Gerais was marked by high drama, with attorneys for two of Fernandes` alleged accomplices who are also facing murder charges the former police officer, Marcos dos Santos, and the player`s right-hand man, Luiz Romao walking out on the case after arguing with the judge over access to videos of witness testimony.
"We would like to leave clear to the jury that it is impossible to carry out a fair trial," Ercio Quaresmo, the attorney for Santos, said in court according to O Globo newspaper.
Others also charged with Samudio`s kidnapping, murder and the hiding of her body are Dayanne Rodrigues, Fernandes` wife, and Fernanda Castro, a lover. All those charged with the death have pleaded innocent, including Fernandes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Houston shooting: Two shot dead including suspect, six left wounded
- Amitabh Bachchan proud of hosting girl child segment at government's gala
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley
- Premature babies at greater of risk of osteoporosis in adulthood
- Government to crack down on savings scams as PM Modi backs banking for all