Brazilian footballer `karate kicks` referee
Sao Paulo: A Brazilian footballer has been sacked by his club and faces assault charges after attacking a referee with a "karate kick" to the chest during a weekend match.
Independente defender Johnny dos Santos was immediately arrested by police after the incident that took place during his team`s 0-1 loss to Marilia in the third division of Sao Paulo`s state-league, reports Xinhua Tuesday.
"He is aware of the seriousness of what he did and he is sorry," Independente football manager Marcos Bruno was quoted saying by O`Globo.
"He told me that he is seriously considering quitting football. He is very depressed."
In a police statement filed after the match, referee Mauricio Antonio Fioretti said he had suffered lacerations and bruising to his right shoulder.
According to Brazil`s new Sports Justice code, the maximum penalty for an act of on-field aggression is a 24-match ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore