Brazilian icon Ronaldo was Messi’s idol
London: Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has revealed that Brazilian star Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima was one of his heroes, and not his Portuguese rival Cristiano Ronaldo.
“Ronaldo was my hero. I loved watching players like (Zinedine) Zidane, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo but Ronaldo was the best striker I’ve ever seen,” Sport24 quoted Messi, as saying, as he referred to De Lima, and not Real Madrid``s Cristiano, with whom he is vying for the Ballon d``Or.
"I loved watching players like (Zinedine) Zidane, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo but Ronaldo was the best striker I’ve ever seen. He was so fast he could score from nothing, and could shoot the ball better than anyone I’ve ever seen,” he added.
Messi, 25, is tipped to pick up the Ballon d``Or award for the world’s best footballer. Like Ronaldo, who also played at Barcelona, and France legend Zidane, the Barca player has won the prestigious accolade three times before, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'