Brazilian Masters XI to visit city for friendly
Kolkata: West Bengal Sports Minister Madan Mitra on Monday announced the visiting 11-member Brazilian Masters side for their invitational friendly against All Stars XI at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan on December 8.
Mitra also said the state government has planned for a felicitation of former England captain Geoffrey Boycott on December 4, on the eve of the third Test against India here.
"We have received the XI-member team list from Brazil. I`m looking forward to host them in the football-crazy city of Kolkata," Mitra said.
"The mayor of Rio had invited me but I could not go there due to my pre-occupation. But we sent our representative who had returned following a week-long trip yesterday."
The organisers had earlier planned to bring in the legendary Pele but there`s little chance of that after his hip replacement surgery earlier this month.
However, efforts are on to bring in Pele`s son Edson Cholbi Nascimento (Edinho) for the match.
The All Stars team will feature Carlos Valderama and Rene Higuita besides two Indian stars, Bhaichung Bhutia and Brazilian Jose Barreto, who retired from Mohun Bagan last season.
Brazilian Masters: Roberto Carlos, Dunga, Bebeto, Viola, Juninho Paulista, Mauro Silva, Zinho, Zetti, Edmilson, Aldeir and Ceaser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened