Brazilian Masters XI to visit city for friendly
Kolkata: West Bengal Sports Minister Madan Mitra on Monday announced the visiting 11-member Brazilian Masters side for their invitational friendly against All Stars XI at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan on December 8.
Mitra also said the state government has planned for a felicitation of former England captain Geoffrey Boycott on December 4, on the eve of the third Test against India here.
"We have received the XI-member team list from Brazil. I`m looking forward to host them in the football-crazy city of Kolkata," Mitra said.
"The mayor of Rio had invited me but I could not go there due to my pre-occupation. But we sent our representative who had returned following a week-long trip yesterday."
The organisers had earlier planned to bring in the legendary Pele but there`s little chance of that after his hip replacement surgery earlier this month.
However, efforts are on to bring in Pele`s son Edson Cholbi Nascimento (Edinho) for the match.
The All Stars team will feature Carlos Valderama and Rene Higuita besides two Indian stars, Bhaichung Bhutia and Brazilian Jose Barreto, who retired from Mohun Bagan last season.
Brazilian Masters: Roberto Carlos, Dunga, Bebeto, Viola, Juninho Paulista, Mauro Silva, Zinho, Zetti, Edmilson, Aldeir and Ceaser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US