Brazilian treasury blocks Dede transfer
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil international defender Dede’s had his USD 7 million move from Vasco da Gama to Cruzeiro blocked by the country`s treasury department.
Rio de Janeiro`s football federation (FERJ) confirmed in a statement Friday that the transfer had been suspended due to Vasco`s USD 25 million tax debt.
"FERJ has received notice of a judicial decision that impedes the transfer of Dede," the statement said.
News of the injunction came just hours after Dede, 24, appeared at a press conference confirming his arrival at the Belo Horizonte club.
According to Brazilian sports newspaper Lance, the situation is compounded by the fact Cruzeiro have already paid for the deal.
Vasco is understood to have used the money this week to pay a percentage of the club`s outstanding player salaries.
It is the latest in a series of embarrassing episodes involving the debt-stricken Rio de Janeiro club.
Vasco`s failure to pay wages on time prompted the summer departures of former Brazil star Juninho, goalkeeper Fernando Prass and midfielder Nilton.
In January Vasco`s financial director Nelson Rocha revealed that the club`s net debt had spiralled to USD 125 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday