Brazilian treasury blocks Dede transfer
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil international defender Dede’s had his USD 7 million move from Vasco da Gama to Cruzeiro blocked by the country`s treasury department.
Rio de Janeiro`s football federation (FERJ) confirmed in a statement Friday that the transfer had been suspended due to Vasco`s USD 25 million tax debt.
"FERJ has received notice of a judicial decision that impedes the transfer of Dede," the statement said.
News of the injunction came just hours after Dede, 24, appeared at a press conference confirming his arrival at the Belo Horizonte club.
According to Brazilian sports newspaper Lance, the situation is compounded by the fact Cruzeiro have already paid for the deal.
Vasco is understood to have used the money this week to pay a percentage of the club`s outstanding player salaries.
It is the latest in a series of embarrassing episodes involving the debt-stricken Rio de Janeiro club.
Vasco`s failure to pay wages on time prompted the summer departures of former Brazil star Juninho, goalkeeper Fernando Prass and midfielder Nilton.
In January Vasco`s financial director Nelson Rocha revealed that the club`s net debt had spiralled to USD 125 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!