Bremen and coach Schaaf part after 14 years
Berlin: German side Werder Bremen and coach Thomas Schaaf have mutually agreed to part ways after 14 years of cooperation.
After 14 years of collaboration, Bremen and Thomas Schaaf agreed to separate ways Wednesday due to poor performances in the second half of the campaign which involved the Green-Whites in the relegation battle until the penultimate round of the Bundesliga.
Therefore, the 52-year-old coach will not sit on the bench for the last round as assistant coaches Wolfgang Rolff and Matthias Hoernerbach will replace Schaaf for the upcoming match against Nuremberg this weekend.
‘We analysed the sportive development in the last few days and came to the conclusion to dare a fresh start. After we secured staying up in first division, we mutually agree that a separation is the best for the planned restart,’ sporting director Thomas Eichin said in an official press release Wednesday. Thomas Schaaf already said goodbye to his players and colleagues to leave his workplace.
‘We have to thank Thomas for everything he has brought to the club in more than 40 years of membership as a player and coach. With him in charge, the club celebrated outstanding achievements. He has shaped Werder Bremen,’ Eichin added.
Thomas Schaaf took the helm in Bremen in May 1999 to lead them to the German double in 2004. In addition he ensured three German Cups (1999, 2004 and 2009). Under his command, Bremen became a regular guest at international competitions such as UEFA Champions League and Europa League. Overall Schaaf made 644 matches with the Green-Whites.
‘I had an extraordinary time here. Associated with many positive experiences and great successes. I want to thank all those who accompanied and supported me on this journey. I wish Bremen a successful future,’ Schaaf said on Bremen`s official homepage. Bremen sit currently on 14th with only eight wins out of 33 matches which is under their expectations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'