Bremen and coach Schaaf part after 14 years
Berlin: German side Werder Bremen and coach Thomas Schaaf have mutually agreed to part ways after 14 years of cooperation.
After 14 years of collaboration, Bremen and Thomas Schaaf agreed to separate ways Wednesday due to poor performances in the second half of the campaign which involved the Green-Whites in the relegation battle until the penultimate round of the Bundesliga.
Therefore, the 52-year-old coach will not sit on the bench for the last round as assistant coaches Wolfgang Rolff and Matthias Hoernerbach will replace Schaaf for the upcoming match against Nuremberg this weekend.
‘We analysed the sportive development in the last few days and came to the conclusion to dare a fresh start. After we secured staying up in first division, we mutually agree that a separation is the best for the planned restart,’ sporting director Thomas Eichin said in an official press release Wednesday. Thomas Schaaf already said goodbye to his players and colleagues to leave his workplace.
‘We have to thank Thomas for everything he has brought to the club in more than 40 years of membership as a player and coach. With him in charge, the club celebrated outstanding achievements. He has shaped Werder Bremen,’ Eichin added.
Thomas Schaaf took the helm in Bremen in May 1999 to lead them to the German double in 2004. In addition he ensured three German Cups (1999, 2004 and 2009). Under his command, Bremen became a regular guest at international competitions such as UEFA Champions League and Europa League. Overall Schaaf made 644 matches with the Green-Whites.
‘I had an extraordinary time here. Associated with many positive experiences and great successes. I want to thank all those who accompanied and supported me on this journey. I wish Bremen a successful future,’ Schaaf said on Bremen`s official homepage. Bremen sit currently on 14th with only eight wins out of 33 matches which is under their expectations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?