Bremen frustrated in Cologne stalemate
Berlin: Werder Bremen missed the chance to close the gap with Bundesliga leaders Bayer Leverkusen when they drew 0-0 against Cologne on Sunday.
Bremen, who now have a 23-match unbeaten streak in all competitions, lacked the creativity of midfielder Mesut Ozil, who was out with influenza. They carved out only a few chances but hosts Cologne themselves missed clear scoring opportunities.
Leverkusen are top on 31 points after drawing 0-0 against Hanover 96 on Saturday, with Bremen in second place on 28.
Fifth-placed Schalke 04, on 25, take on bottom-placed Hertha Berlin later on Sunday (1630 GMT).
Cologne gave Bremen an early scare in the 14th minute when Lukas Podolski raced down the left wing and crossed beautifully for Milovoje Novakovic who fired wide from three metres.
Bremen responded with two shots from Germany international Marko Marin but keeper Thomas Kessler, who was replacing injured Faryd Mondragon, saved well on both occasions.
Bremen had constant trouble feeding striker Hugo Almeida with Marin failing to fill the gap left by Ozil`s absence.
Kessler blocked an Almeida free kick with the Portuguese striker threading a low shot through the wall a minute before the break.
Cologne continued to be dangerous up front and Novakovic should have done better in the 54th when he picked up a Maniche through ball and only had Bremen keeper Sebastian Mielitz to beat.
The 20-year-old keeper, making his Bundesliga debut, kept his cool to block the shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!