Bremen frustrated in Cologne stalemate
Berlin: Werder Bremen missed the chance to close the gap with Bundesliga leaders Bayer Leverkusen when they drew 0-0 against Cologne on Sunday.
Bremen, who now have a 23-match unbeaten streak in all competitions, lacked the creativity of midfielder Mesut Ozil, who was out with influenza. They carved out only a few chances but hosts Cologne themselves missed clear scoring opportunities.
Leverkusen are top on 31 points after drawing 0-0 against Hanover 96 on Saturday, with Bremen in second place on 28.
Fifth-placed Schalke 04, on 25, take on bottom-placed Hertha Berlin later on Sunday (1630 GMT).
Cologne gave Bremen an early scare in the 14th minute when Lukas Podolski raced down the left wing and crossed beautifully for Milovoje Novakovic who fired wide from three metres.
Bremen responded with two shots from Germany international Marko Marin but keeper Thomas Kessler, who was replacing injured Faryd Mondragon, saved well on both occasions.
Bremen had constant trouble feeding striker Hugo Almeida with Marin failing to fill the gap left by Ozil`s absence.
Kessler blocked an Almeida free kick with the Portuguese striker threading a low shot through the wall a minute before the break.
Cologne continued to be dangerous up front and Novakovic should have done better in the 54th when he picked up a Maniche through ball and only had Bremen keeper Sebastian Mielitz to beat.
The 20-year-old keeper, making his Bundesliga debut, kept his cool to block the shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi