Bruno Cortez seals Benfica loan
Brasilia: Benfica have confirmed the loan signing of Sao Paulo left-back Bruno Cortez in a deal that includes the option to make the move permanent at the end of the season.
The 26-year-old earned rave reviews in 2011 for Botafogo before his performance in the Superclasico de las Americas against Argentina for a domestic-based Brazilian side saw him linked to a number of European clubs.
He instead elected to join Sao Paulo, who he helped to the Copa Sudamericana title last season, and is now delighted to have finally made the move to Europe.
"I’m very happy to be a very great club like Benfica," he told the official club website. "It’s a dream come true.
"I know we have to compete in lots of competitions and I will give everything to do well here."
The Brazilian, who made headlines off the pitch in 2011 too when he married his childhood sweetheart in a fast-food restaurant, is also targeting a return to international football.
"I want to return to the national team again, and with the help of my Benfica team-mates I can make it."
Cortez is the latest of a number of summer reinforcements for the Europa League-runners up, who have already sealed deals for Lisandro Lopez, Steven Vitoria, Stefan Mitrovic, Lazar Markovic, Miralem Sulejmani and Filip Djuricic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra