Buffon calls for `severe` punishment for racism
Rome: Juventus veteran Gianluigi Buffon has called for racism in football to be punished "severely", though he believes most supporters are not guilty of the offence.
Juventus were fined €30,000 for racist chants from fans during a clash with AC Milan in April, while Lazio and Inter have been hit with stadium bans in the past 12 months for similar offences.
While Buffon insists most supporters are not motivated by racial or regional discrimination when singing from the stands, he believes action must be taken against those who are found guilty.
"I don`t think fans are acting on racial hatred. Even when they offend the opponent with their shouts, I think the intention is to be heard, to emphasise their dissent," he told leading publication.
"I was one of them, I sang backing vocals when I was little. I know the spirit in which the songs are made. And with players of other races within the teams, it wouldn`t make sense.
"But I think it is fair to severely punish certain forms of intolerance. I did not presume to fully understand this kind of abuse, I cannot have the same sensitivity as those affected by these attacks.
"The line between teasing and denigration is very thin."
Buffon also believes footballers must not be held up as sole role models in the matter of racial tolerance, insisting many players are too young to be handed such a responsibility.
"We know we have the power to influence others. But it is not up to us to educate people, the responsibility is not fair because many of us are young," added the Italy veteran.
"It is clear that, on issues related to fans and racist chanting, sometimes it is appropriate to send a message."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'