Cabaye double piles on misery for West Ham
London: Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye sent West Ham back into the relegation zone as his double strike inspired a 3-1 defeat at Upton Park on Saturday.
Alan Pardew`s team remain in the hunt for a Europa League berth after French midfielder Cabaye struck either side of a Loic Remy goal.
Mike Williamson`s own goal had cut Newcastle`s two-goal lead, but there was no comeback from Sam Allardyce`s side, who slip to third bottom of the table.
With England manager Roy Hodgson watching from the directors` box, Newcastle were first to threaten.
Remy`s persistence almost paid off as the French striker chased Cabaye`s pass into the Hammers penalty area and turned Matt Taylor inside out before seeing his shot deflected behind by Roger Johnson.
That effort should have led to a corner, but to Remy`s disbelief a goal-kick was given.
Newcastle didn`t have to wait long to take the lead however as Cabaye struck in the 16th minute.
Yoan Gouffran squared the ball across the edge of the area to Cabaye, whose first touch took him past Razvan Rat before he coolly fired beyond Adrian for his sixth goal of the season.
Cabaye turned provider soon after, setting up Gouffran for a scuffed shot that was cleared from close to the goalline by Hammers midfielder Mark Noble.
Newcastle should have made it two when Cabaye picked out Moussa Sissoko breaking into the area.
Sissoko had time to take a touch and set himself, but Adrian just got enough on the ball to prevent it sneaking over the line.
West Ham were struggling to keep Newcastle and Pardew`s side deservedly increased their advantage in the 33rd minute.
Sissoko whipped in a cross that picked out Remy, who was granted too much space to chest down and poke a close-range finish past Adrian.
As jeers rang out from sections of the frustrated Upton Park crowd, Cabaye almost made matters worse for the beleaguered hosts when his skidding low shot forced Adrian to save.
Allardyce`s team earned a lifeline just before half-time when Carlton Cole`s shot was saved by Tim Krul, but the rebounded into Magpies defender Williamson and rolled into his own net.
Cole should have equalised early in the second half when he ran onto Taylor`s pass, only to miscue his effort woefully wide from six yards.
West Ham`s England striker Andy Carroll, who made his first appearance last weekend after recovering from a long-term foot injury, came on against his hometown club with 29 minutes remaining.
And Carroll had a golden opportunity to mark his return with a priceless equaliser from Stewart Downing`s cross, but he snatched at the chance and volleyed high over the crossbar.
Cabaye made Carroll pay for that miss when he sealed the points in stoppage-time, curling in a free-kick that eluded Adrian`s weak attempted save.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video