Cameroon fine Song for refusing handshake
Yaounde: Arsenal midfielder Alexander Song has been fined for refusing a reconciliatory handshake from Samuel Eto`o, reflecting continuing divisions in the Cameroon soccer team.
Song was fined one million CFA Francs ($2,159) after a disciplinary hearing of the Cameroon Football Federation, state radio reported at the weekend.
Song had been charged along with Eto`o and Tottenham defender Benoit Assou Ekotto, who did not attend the hearing.
Song, who has not played for his country since a bust-up with captain Eto`o during the World Cup last year, had refused to shake hands with the African Footballer of the Year when the two met ahead of an African Nations Cup qualifier against Senegal earlier this month.
It was the first time that Song, who missed the match because of injury, had returned to the squad since last year`s World Cup in South Africa. His disagreements with Eto`o led to him being sidelined during the tournament, in which Cameroon lost all their matches.
Eto`o was found not guilty at the hearing of missing a training session and showing indiscipline during the Senegal match when he disputed a substitution that coach Javier Clemente.
Assou Ekotto was given an official warning for missing the match without explanation, the radio reported.
The June 4 match ended goalless, effectively costing Cameroon the chance of a place in next year`s finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan