Cameroon fine Song for refusing handshake
Yaounde: Arsenal midfielder Alexander Song has been fined for refusing a reconciliatory handshake from Samuel Eto`o, reflecting continuing divisions in the Cameroon soccer team.
Song was fined one million CFA Francs ($2,159) after a disciplinary hearing of the Cameroon Football Federation, state radio reported at the weekend.
Song had been charged along with Eto`o and Tottenham defender Benoit Assou Ekotto, who did not attend the hearing.
Song, who has not played for his country since a bust-up with captain Eto`o during the World Cup last year, had refused to shake hands with the African Footballer of the Year when the two met ahead of an African Nations Cup qualifier against Senegal earlier this month.
It was the first time that Song, who missed the match because of injury, had returned to the squad since last year`s World Cup in South Africa. His disagreements with Eto`o led to him being sidelined during the tournament, in which Cameroon lost all their matches.
Eto`o was found not guilty at the hearing of missing a training session and showing indiscipline during the Senegal match when he disputed a substitution that coach Javier Clemente.
Assou Ekotto was given an official warning for missing the match without explanation, the radio reported.
The June 4 match ended goalless, effectively costing Cameroon the chance of a place in next year`s finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing