Cameroon test awaits holders India in Nehru Cup final
New Delhi: Seeking to extend its stranglehold over the tournament, Indian football coach Wim Koevermans` blend of youth and experience is in for a real baptism of fire as it prepares to take on strong Cameroon in the final of the Nehru Cup here tomorrow.
While two-time defending champions India are seeking to make it three in a row after triumphs in 2007 and 2009 under then coach Bob Houghton, 59th ranked Cameroon will be chasing a maiden title in their first appearance at the invitational tournament, which started way back in 1982.
In the precursor to the summit showdown Cameroon, despite making as many as eight changes to their regular starting XIs, showed glimpses of what they are capable of.
With their solitary-goal win in the last round-robin league encounter yesterday evening, the Africans sent out a message to the hosts that more is in store. And they will look to unleash those at the floodlit Jawaharlal Nehru one last time, against the 168th ranked side in the world.
India can take heart from the fact that they, too, rested as many as five regular players at the expense of a few talented rookies who, to their credit, did put up a fight after conceding an early goal.
That they did not allow Cameroon to make merry after the second-minute goof-up, while coming close to scoring on a few occasions themselves after the change of ends, should make the Indians feel at ease.
Up against strong Syrian sides in the last two editions, India came out triumphant in front of packed stands at the Ambedkar stadium. Having done that in the past, India would surely back themselves to do an encore one more time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?