Canaries on song in win over Sunderland
Norwich: Norwich showed they are settling down in the Premier League on Monday after recording their second successive win in beating Sunderland 2-1.
Goals by Leon Barnett and Steve Morison gave the hosts a 2-0 lead before Black Cats midfielder Kieran Richardson scored late on to give the home fans some nervy moments.
However, the Canaries held on to move to ninth in the table while defeat meant further misery for Norwich`s former captain Steve Bruce as the Sunderland handler sees his side lying just a point above the bottom three.
Both the Norwich goals were helped by poor Sunderland defending, an unmarked Barnett striking from six yards out in the first-half and then Morison rose above a static Wes Brown to head home early in the second-half.
Norwich manager Paul Lambert - who has worked a miracle with the team in his two years at the club gaining them successive promotions - was delighted with their first home win of the campaign.
"Winning last week at Bolton was important and a first win at home is a big step too," said the 42-year-old Scot, who won the Champions League as a player with Borussia Dortmund in 1997.
"We`re new to this league but we are learning and playing well."
Bruce, who drastically revamped the squad during the close season but lost key players such as Jordan Henderson and Asamoah Gyan, was underwhelmed with his players’ performance.
"Overall I`m disappointed with them (the players)," he said.
"It was always going to be difficult tonight (Monday), a night when we needed to play well to get something. But we didn`t.”
"The performance of a lot of players was under-par."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city