Capello promises Croatia that England will go for a win
London: Croatia need not worry about England taking it easy against Ukraine on Saturday despite having already qualified for the World Cup finals, coach Fabio Capello said on Friday.
With eight wins from eight matches in Group Six, England are guaranteed to finish top but Croatia and Ukraine are battling it out for runners-up spot and a place in a two-legged playoff against one of the other second-placed nations.
Croatia, who play their final qualifying match in Kazakhstan on Wednesday, are second with 17 points but Ukraine would overtake them with wins at home to England on Saturday and away to Andorra next week.
“I always play to win and tomorrow will be the same,” Capello told reporters at a news conference in Dnepropetrovsk televised by Sky Sports News.
“We will play the same as in the other matches and I will choose my best 11. “Getting 10 wins out of 10 is not important, it’s just important to win.
“I want to see the team play with the same spirit and style and to play to win. Sometimes you find another team that is stronger than you and you can lose. We always play to win.”
England thrashed Croatia twice in the group, but found Ukraine a much tougher nut to crack at Wembley this year, needing a late goal from John Terry to seal victory.
“I’m expecting a tough game and we will have to play very well. I saw their (0-0 draw) against Belarus and they played very well but missed a lot of chances.”
Capello confirmed Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand would be in the starting line-up after missing the home win over Croatia with a thigh injury but was still undecided about who would be in goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people