Capello promises Croatia that England will go for a win
London: Croatia need not worry about England taking it easy against Ukraine on Saturday despite having already qualified for the World Cup finals, coach Fabio Capello said on Friday.
With eight wins from eight matches in Group Six, England are guaranteed to finish top but Croatia and Ukraine are battling it out for runners-up spot and a place in a two-legged playoff against one of the other second-placed nations.
Croatia, who play their final qualifying match in Kazakhstan on Wednesday, are second with 17 points but Ukraine would overtake them with wins at home to England on Saturday and away to Andorra next week.
“I always play to win and tomorrow will be the same,” Capello told reporters at a news conference in Dnepropetrovsk televised by Sky Sports News.
“We will play the same as in the other matches and I will choose my best 11. “Getting 10 wins out of 10 is not important, it’s just important to win.
“I want to see the team play with the same spirit and style and to play to win. Sometimes you find another team that is stronger than you and you can lose. We always play to win.”
England thrashed Croatia twice in the group, but found Ukraine a much tougher nut to crack at Wembley this year, needing a late goal from John Terry to seal victory.
“I’m expecting a tough game and we will have to play very well. I saw their (0-0 draw) against Belarus and they played very well but missed a lot of chances.”
Capello confirmed Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand would be in the starting line-up after missing the home win over Croatia with a thigh injury but was still undecided about who would be in goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened