Capello sets Russia World Cup quarter-final target
Moscow: Fabio Capello said Thursday he wants his Russia team to make the quarter-final stage at next year`s World Cup in Brazil.
The 67-year-old Italian coach has led Russia into its first World Cup finals since 2002, the team finishing atop their European qualifying group one point ahead of fancied Portugal.
"Russia are a dangerous team for anyone," the RIA-Novosti news agency quoted Capello as saying.
"Their absence from the World Cup has increased their appetite a great deal. I think our level is the top eight of the event.
"Let`s say that I want my team to reach the quarter-finals," he added.
In the new FIFA rankings that were announced Thursday Russia fell four places down to 19th in the world.
That means Russia will not be among the seeded teams for the 32-team competition next summer and will face at least one of the world`s top teams in the group stage
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?