Capello to remain as England coach
London: Fabio Capello is to remain in his post as England manager despite the team’s World Cup flop, the Football Association announced Friday.
Capello’s position had been called into question after England were knocked out of the World Cup at the last 16 stage by arch-rivals Germany in an embarrassing 4-1 defeat.
But the FA, dismissing talk they might sack the Italian, said Capello would stay as national team manager.
Immediately after England’s World Cup exit, Capello said he’d been told by the FA they would need two weeks to decide if they wanted him to stay on.
Capello’s contract runs until after the 2012 European Championships and sacking him would have cost the FA millions of pounds after they removed, shortly before the World Cup, a ‘break’ clause from the deal.
An FA statement issued Friday said: “The Football Association confirmed today that Fabio Capello will continue as England Team Manager.
“This followed a meeting of the Club England Board (Dave Richards, Alex Horne, Trevor Brooking and Adrian Bevington) and formal approval by The FA main Board.”
Sir Dave Richards said: “We are all still extremely disappointed at our performance in South Africa, and we believed it was important that we took some time to reflect on everything in a calm and considered manner back in England.
“After fully discussing our performance we remain convinced that Fabio is the best man for the job.”
Capello added: “I am more determined than ever to succeed with the England team.”