Carles Puyol expected to miss four to six weeks following strained knee ligaments
Barcelona have been dealt a significant blow after watching their captain Carles Puyol limp off during the second half of the Primera Division fixture against Getafe with suspected knee ligament damage.
The 34-year-old initially underwent knee surgery in May following an injury in the Catalan derby against Espanyol, an operation that kept the Spain international out of his national team`s victorious Euro 2012 campaign.
Making only his second appearance following his recovery, Puyol appeared to twist his left knee sharply in the 52nd minute of play, although he managed to return to action shortly after.
It proved too much for the stopper to take however, and after being examined by a doctor pitch side, it was decided he would take no further part in the game, and was subsequently replaced in the 57th minute by defensive colleague Javier Mascherano.
Puyol will undergo further checks on Sunday although the club already expects a four-to-six weeks injury lay-off.
The protracted recovery period will enforce a shortage of centre-backs on Blaugrana boss Tito Vilanova, who will have to make do without the influential defender against Spartak Moscow on Wednesday, as well as specifically the crunch Clasico encounter against Spain champions Real Madrid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested