Carles Puyol signs Barcelona contract extension until 2016
Barcelona: Carles Puyol has signed a contract extension that will see him stay at Barcelona until 2016.
The centre-back joins Xavi and Lionel Messi in signing new deals with the Liga leaders, although Victor Valdes has refused to commit to the club past the end of his current deal.
The 34-year-old`s current deal had been due to expire in the summer of 2014, but he will now stay with the Blaugrana for a further two years.
"I`m very happy and very pleased," he told Barca TV.
"My plan was to continue here - I want to be here for as many years as I can. I`m thankful for the effort that the club have made.
"Signing this contact is important, but what`s more important is seeing it out. Staying in shape is very important and I`m well aware that I have to take care of myself off and on the pitch."
Puyol has played his entire career at Camp Nou and has won five league titles, two Copa del Rey’s and the Champions League three times.
Both Adriano and Andreas Iniesta are expected to join Puyol in signing extensions in the coming week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened