Carlos Tevez on target for Juventus as Verona sink Milan
Milan: Argentine striker Carlos Tevez scored on his Serie A debut for Juventus in a 1-0 win at Sampdoria as AC Milan stumbled on the opening day of the new campaign with a 2-1 away defeat to new boys Verona.
Tevez, who scored when the champions secured the Italian Super Cup with a 4-0 rout of Lazio last weekend, was partnered up front by Mirko Vucinic as Spaniard Fernando Llorente was left on the sidelines on Saturday.
And the former Manchester City striker, one of the few big names to make his way to Italy`s top flight over the summer, made the most of his few chances when he tapped home a Paul Pogba ball just before the hour.
Sampdoria were the only team last season to beat Juventus both home and away, making sure the defending champions` 29th league crown came with a bitter aftertaste on the final day of the season.
However Delio Rossi`s side ultimately failed to threaten in an encounter plagued by torrential rain at the Luigi Ferraris stadium.
Montenegrin Vucinic came close for Juve inside three minutes and the visitors were almost given a 19th-minute lead when Kwadwo Asamoah`s header from Andrea Pirlo`s corner bounced and forced Angelo Da Costa to tip the ball over the crossbar.
Tevez was gifted a chance in the 21st minute when a long midfield ball made its way through the Sampdoria defence but Da Costa parried the Argentine`s effort.
Shortly after the break Stephan Lichsteiner`s cross from deep on the right was too far forward for Vucinic.
Juve then won a freekick when Tevez fell to the ground under a challenge from Eramo but Pirlo`s effort from 30 metres was a metre over the crossbar.
Sampdoria pressed, but Giorgio Chiellini did well to head away a dangerous looking cross just before the hour.
Moments later Juve broke the deadlock, Tevez tapping home into a virtually empty net from Pogba`s unselfish square ball after the Frenchman had been set up deep by Chilean Arturo Vidal.
Sampdoria finished the match with 10 men when substitute Paolo Castellini was shown a direct red card for a nasty foul on Lichsteiner.
It means Verona, thanks to a brace from former Italy striker Luca Toni, are the leaders on the first day, 11 years after dropping out of Serie A, with Juventus in second place ahead of the rest of the programme on Sunday.
Milan had opened the scoring inside the opening quarter of an hour when midfielder Andrea Poli finished off a smart pass from Italy striker Mario Balotelli.
But the visitors were pegged back by Toni on the half hour, and left stunned when the former Fiorentina striker scored with his second header eight minutes after the restart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read