Carroll scores as Liverpool crush Oldham in FA
London: Andy Carroll scored at Anfield for the first time this season to help Liverpool reach the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 5-1 win over League 1 (third division) Oldham Athletic on Friday.
England international Carroll, bought for 35 million pounds ($53.93 million) from Newcastle United last January, pounced with injury time approaching to put Liverpool 4-1 up after they had gone behind in the 28th minute.
Oldham`s Robbie Simpson produced an unstoppable strike from 25 metres in the 28th minute but Liverpool quickly drew level when a Jonjo Shelvey shot destined for the goalkeeper`s hands deflected off Craig Bellamy into the corner of the net.
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, plagued by injuries in 2011, then rifled home a penalty at the end of the first half to give his side a 2-1 lead.
Bellamy`s pace unsettled Oldham as Liverpool made it 3-1 after 68 minutes, the Welsh winger`s cross after a dashing run dispatched by Shelvey.
Misfiring striker Carroll then grabbed his third goal of the season after a swivel on the edge of the box and a smart finish before Stewart Downing made it 5-1 deep into injury time.
"Downing scored, big Andy got a goal, Jonjo scored and Steven scored with a penalty so we`ve had a few positives but I don`t think the scoreline reflects the distance between the two teams on that performance," said Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish.
However, the game ended on a sour note when Oldham`s Tom Adeyemi exchanged words with a spectator and the tearful midfielder needed a consoling word from Gerrard.
Liverpool issued a statement saying: "An incident occurred in the second half of the match which is now being investigated by both the club and the police."
Merseyside Police added: "The aim of the investigation is to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident to ascertain if action needs to be taken."
"(We) can confirm that no-one has been arrested this evening... on suspicion of racially aggravated behaviour during tonight`s FA Cup fixture at Anfield," said a police spokesman.
The main programme of third-round ties will be on Saturday but the highlight is holders Manchester City`s home game with Manchester United on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence