Casillas & Torres make Spain squad for Confederations Cup
Spain: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has included Iker Casillas and Fernando Torres in his 26-man provisional squad for this summer`s Confederations Cup.
The Real Madrid goalkeeper earns his first call-up since recovering from a hand injury, but Del Bosque feels Casillas remains a key figure for Spain regardless of his lack of match action after being usurped by Diego Lopez at club level.
Torres, meanwhile, makes his comeback for the national side after impressing for Chelsea in the past few months, with his goal in the 2-1 Europa League final win over Benfica the highlight of his season.
Furthermore, Bayern Munich midfielder Javi Martinez also returns after missing out on the last Spain squad, while Benat and Javi Garcia have made the cut, too.
David de Gea, Isco and Thiago Alcantara were called up for the Under-21 side taking part in the European Championships in Israel this summer and are therefore unavailable.
Spain meet Uruguay, Tahiti and Nigeria at the Confederations Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida