Casillas eager to close gap on Barcelona
London: Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has urged his team-mates to turn their focus to La Liga again as he is desperate to close the gap on leaders Barcelona and second-placed Atletico Madrid.
The reigning champions currently sit third in the Primera Division table, trailing their arch-rivals by 11 points, while Atletico still hold a five-point lead, but Casillas has not given up hope of getting back in the title race just yet.
"It is a shame we are so far behind Barcelona and Atleti, but that`s the way things stand and that`s what we have to aim to beat," the goalkeeper was quoted as saying on the official Madrid website.
"What we need to do now is focus our attention on La Liga and the cup. We must cut the points difference with the teams above us."
Casillas then went on to discuss his side`s Champions League campaign and revealed his belief that Blancos will be faced with a difficult draw in the knockout phase.
"The opponent will be tough, but there`s plenty of time from now until February to get ready."
The draw for the first knockout stage takes place on December 20 in Nyon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested