Casillas was fit to play: Del Bosque
Revife (Spain): Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque refused to be drawn on Sunday why he chose goalkeeper Iker Casillas in his starting lineup over Victor Valdez against Uruguay in their Confederations Cup opener.
Casillas had not played a competitive match since January and many predicted Valdez would be first-choice in goal for La Roja`s opening Confederations Cup Group B match, reports Xinhua.
"I have seen him fit (to play Casillas)", Del Bosque said after Spain`s 2-1 victory over La Celeste at Arena Pernambuco. "All three goalkeepers in our squad (Casillas, Valdez and Pepe Reina) are very good."
Despite having recovered from a hand injury in March, Casillas was overlooked by former Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho for the remainder of the season in favor of Diego Lopez.
He was barely tested against Uruguay, Sunday, beaten only by a sublime Luiz Suarez free-kick two minutes from time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report