Casillas was fit to play: Del Bosque
Revife (Spain): Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque refused to be drawn on Sunday why he chose goalkeeper Iker Casillas in his starting lineup over Victor Valdez against Uruguay in their Confederations Cup opener.
Casillas had not played a competitive match since January and many predicted Valdez would be first-choice in goal for La Roja`s opening Confederations Cup Group B match, reports Xinhua.
"I have seen him fit (to play Casillas)", Del Bosque said after Spain`s 2-1 victory over La Celeste at Arena Pernambuco. "All three goalkeepers in our squad (Casillas, Valdez and Pepe Reina) are very good."
Despite having recovered from a hand injury in March, Casillas was overlooked by former Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho for the remainder of the season in favor of Diego Lopez.
He was barely tested against Uruguay, Sunday, beaten only by a sublime Luiz Suarez free-kick two minutes from time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption