Casillas was fit to play: Del Bosque
Revife (Spain): Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque refused to be drawn on Sunday why he chose goalkeeper Iker Casillas in his starting lineup over Victor Valdez against Uruguay in their Confederations Cup opener.
Casillas had not played a competitive match since January and many predicted Valdez would be first-choice in goal for La Roja`s opening Confederations Cup Group B match, reports Xinhua.
"I have seen him fit (to play Casillas)", Del Bosque said after Spain`s 2-1 victory over La Celeste at Arena Pernambuco. "All three goalkeepers in our squad (Casillas, Valdez and Pepe Reina) are very good."
Despite having recovered from a hand injury in March, Casillas was overlooked by former Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho for the remainder of the season in favor of Diego Lopez.
He was barely tested against Uruguay, Sunday, beaten only by a sublime Luiz Suarez free-kick two minutes from time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened