Casillas will not leave Madrid for Barcelona: Xavi
Madrid: Xavi says Iker Casillas will not leave Real Madrid for Barcelona in the summer in order to replace Victor Valdes as the club`s first-choice goalkeeper.
Valdes has said he does not want to extend his current contract until 2014 and could therefore be on his way out of Barca. Casillas, 31, on the other hand has lost his starting berth at Madrid and has been linked with a move away from the Blancos, too.
Nevertheless, Xavi believes it is unlikely Casillas will leave the Santiago Bernabeu side for their arch-rivals.
"I feel bad for Iker that he has ended up on the bench and I think it`s unfair. I do not think that he will come to Barcelona, though," Xavi said.
"He`s a real Madridista. We cannot look beyond that. I would welcome him with open arms, but I cannot see it happen to be honest."
The influential midfielder then went on to stress he does not expect Valdes to change his plans for the future, while praising the goalkeeper for his fine performances.
"I know Victor pretty well and I do not think that he will have second thoughts. He is an extraordinary person and I am sad that he will leave," he added.
"He is not only a friend, but also a real leader. He has probably received the worst treatment in the media I have ever seen in my career. He has always overcome criticism. The harsher the criticism, the better his performances."
The 31-year-old shot-stopper has made close to 500 official appearances for Barcelona since making his debut in 2002-03.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees likely to get huge pay checks by June-July 2016
- Andrew Flintoff tells Yuvraj Singh – 'I will cut your throat off'....Read Yuvi's reply