Casillas will not leave Madrid for Barcelona: Xavi
Madrid: Xavi says Iker Casillas will not leave Real Madrid for Barcelona in the summer in order to replace Victor Valdes as the club`s first-choice goalkeeper.
Valdes has said he does not want to extend his current contract until 2014 and could therefore be on his way out of Barca. Casillas, 31, on the other hand has lost his starting berth at Madrid and has been linked with a move away from the Blancos, too.
Nevertheless, Xavi believes it is unlikely Casillas will leave the Santiago Bernabeu side for their arch-rivals.
"I feel bad for Iker that he has ended up on the bench and I think it`s unfair. I do not think that he will come to Barcelona, though," Xavi said.
"He`s a real Madridista. We cannot look beyond that. I would welcome him with open arms, but I cannot see it happen to be honest."
The influential midfielder then went on to stress he does not expect Valdes to change his plans for the future, while praising the goalkeeper for his fine performances.
"I know Victor pretty well and I do not think that he will have second thoughts. He is an extraordinary person and I am sad that he will leave," he added.
"He is not only a friend, but also a real leader. He has probably received the worst treatment in the media I have ever seen in my career. He has always overcome criticism. The harsher the criticism, the better his performances."
The 31-year-old shot-stopper has made close to 500 official appearances for Barcelona since making his debut in 2002-03.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!