Cazorla keeps Malaga on course for Champions League
Madrid: A stunning Santi Cazorla equaliser kept Malaga`s push for a first venture into the Champions League on track as they drew 1-1 at Osasuna in La Liga on Monday.
The Spain playmaker, a 20 million-euro purchase by the Qatari-owned club last year, thumped a long-range shot inside the far post after 67 minutes, cancelling out Nino`s diving header just after the break.
Malaga, coached by former Real Madrid boss Manuel Pellegrini, moved on to 52 points in fourth place, Spain`s last qualification berth for Europe`s elite club competition.
The Costa del Sol side`s only previous venture into Europe was when they reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup, now known as the Europa League, in the 2002-03 campaign after winning the now defunct Intertoto Cup.
Osasuna matched their visitors in a pulsating encounter at the Reyno de Navarra, though Malaga hit the woodwork twice, and maintain an outside chance of a second tilt at the Champions League.
The Navarrans finished fourth under Javier Aguirre in 2006 but failed to reach the group stage the following season.
Osasuna are five points behind Malaga in eighth with 47 points, one short of the Europa League qualification slots.
Real Madrid top the standings with 88 points after a 2-1 win at Barcelona on Saturday which made them hot favourites to win a first league title in four years.
Jose Mourinho`s side are seven points clear of second-placed Barca with four matches left.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31