Celtic treble dream still alive

Celtic remain on course for a domestic treble as they eased their way into the Scottish Cup quarter-finals with a 2-0 win over Dundee.

Dundee: Celtic remain on course for a domestic treble as they eased their way into the Scottish Cup quarter-finals with a 2-0 win over Dundee.

Celtic, who had been held to a draw on their last visit to Dens Park, took a seventh minute lead when Leigh Griffiths glanced home a header from Mikel Lustig`s cross.

The Scottish Premiership leaders had plenty of chances to add to their tally before the break with Scott Brown, James Forrest and Griffiths again all spurning chances.

Stefan Johansen doubled Celtic`s advantage in the 47th minute when he netted from close range after Griffiths header had been saved to book their place in the last eight.

"I`m very happy with the performance, the team spirit and the energy. We seem very quick and sharp, and I saw that in training last week. We are improving all the time," Celtic manager Ronny Deila said.

"If we needed it, we had another level to go to. Today we won in a very good way."

Dundee boss Paul Hartley couldn`t hide his disappointment at the manner of the defeat.

"I`m disappointed in how we played and how we went about our business," Hartley said.

"We worked all week on what we wanted to do but we just didn`t perform today. We just weren`t at it today, we`re not going to dress it up, we were second best all over the park."

The win sets up a potential Old Firm clash with fierce rivals Rangers, who face Raith Rovers at Ibrox on Sunday.

The fallen Glasgow giants, who sit second in the Championship table, were easily defeated in last weekend`s Old Firm League Cup semi-final at Hampden as Celtic ran out 2-0 victors.

Stranraer host League Cup finalists Dundee United at Stair Park in Sunday`s other last 16 clash.

Elsewhere, holders St Johnstone crashed out of the competition following a 2-0 defeat by Scottish Championship side Queen of the South.

After the first half ended goalless, it took just over two minutes for the home side to net as Derek Lyle helped home Lewis Kidd`s effort from close range.

Three minutes into stoppage time Queen of the South made sure of the win when Gavin Reilly knocked home substitute Stephen McKenna`s cross.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle were the only other Premiership side to make it through to the last eight as they held on for a 2-1 win over Partick Thistle at Fir Hill.

Marley Watkins opened the scoring for Inverness in the 16th minute when he fired in a left-foot shot before Greg Tansey got in betwen the home defence to slot home a second 12 minutes later.

Lyle Taylor pulled one back for Partick Thistle in the 67th minute but the visitors held on for the win.

Hibernian battled back from a goal down to move into the quarter-finals with a 3-1 win over fellow Championship side Arbroath.

Fellow Championship side Falkirk joined them in the draw for the quarter-finals with a 2-1 win over League One side Brechin City.

Ally McKinnon scored for Lowland League side Spartans in stoppage time to earn them a 1-1 draw with League Two side Berwick Rangers and ensure themselves of a fifth round replay.

Aberdeen took advantage of Celtic`s involvement in the Scottish Cup to move level on points with them at the top of the Scottish Premiership after a thumping 4-0 win at home against struggling Ross County.

The Dons and Celtic are locked on 51 points each, although Aberdeen have played two games more than their rivals.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link