Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil`s greatest
Rio de Janeiro: Former Brazil international goalkeeper Rogerio Ceni has been voted Brazil`s greatest player in the Copa Libertadores, ahead of Pele and Zico.
Ceni was selected by 77 percent of respondents to the Pasion Libertadores internet poll, a site sanctioned by South American football`s governing body CONMEBOL, reports Xinhua.
Pele, widely regarded as the greatest player in history, was second with 18.2 percent and Zico third with 4.2 percent.
Ceni, who at 39 is still playing for Brazilian Serie A club Sao Paulo, has played in two Copa Libertadores winning teams in 1993 and 2005.
During the 2005 tournament, he scored five goals as the team`s designated free-kick specialist and penalty-taker.
The Copa Libertadores, South America`s equivalent of the UEFA Champions League, is the continent`s most prestigious club tournament.
"I am delighted. This is an award for everyone associated with Sao Paulo, not just me," Ceni said upon hearing the news.
"It is a reflection of the great success Sao Paulo has had as a club in the Copa Libertadores, the efforts of my teammates and the support of the fans."
Ceni, who is contracted to Sao Paulo until the end of the year, has not decided whether to continue in 2013.
His 22-year career includes 1016 matches and 103 goals for Sao Paulo as well as 17 international appearances for Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September