Champions League: Chelsea join Real Madrid in last eight
London: Chelsea fought back from first-leg defeat to overcome Napoli in extra-time and Real Madrid met much less resistance against CSKA Moscow as the lineup for the Champions League quarter-finals was completed on Wednesday.
Branislav Ivanovic`s strike on 105 minutes gave Chelsea a 5-4 aggregate success following a 4-1 win at Stamford Bridge in the last-16 second leg, meaning they will be England`s only representatives in the last eight.
Headers from Didier Drogba and John Terry had put Chelsea in front and on course to progress before Gokhan Inler`s superb strike on 55 minutes regained the initiative for the Italians.
A Frank Lampard penalty 15 minutes from time sent the thrilling game into extra-time before defender Ivanovic stole the headlines with a thumping effort.
Real`s 4-1 home win over CSKA earned a 5-2 aggregate victory and kept coach Jose Mourinho on course to become the only manager to win the trophy with three clubs.
Gonzalo Higuain poked home Kaka`s pass on 26 minutes and Cristiano Ronaldo`s second-half strike slipped through the fingers of goalkeeper Sergei Chepchugov before Karim Benzema and Ronaldo netted either side of Zoran Tosic for the Russians.
"I know if we get them in the quarters, semi-finals or final, they will be a great opponent," Mourinho told Sky Sports about the prospect of facing former side Chelsea.
The pair join holders Barcelona, seven-times winners AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Olympique Marseille, Benfica and novices APOEL Nicosia in the last eight with the open draw - meaning any team can meet any other - being made on Friday.
The two-legged quarter-finals take place on March 27/28 and April 3/4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day