Champions League draw: Chelsea meet Atletico, Real to take on Bayern
Nyon (Switzerland): Defending champions Bayern Munich will take on Spanish giants Real Madrid in the first semi-final of the UEFA Champions League while England`s Chelsea have been drawn against Spain`s Atletico Madrid in the draw held here Friday.
The first legs of the semi-finals are to be played April 22-23 and the second legs April 29-30.
Chelsea earned their place in the last four after recovering from a 1-3 first leg deficit to beat Paris Saint-Germain on away goals in the last round.
However, there is confusion over the participation of Atletico`s on-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. The gangly Belgian international is contracted to Chelsea but has been on loan to Atletico for the past three seasons.
Earlier, the Spanish club`s president Enrique Cerezo told Spanish radio that due to some contractual obligations with Chelsea Atletico would require to stump up something in the region of six million euros if Courtois was to play against his parent club.
UEFA, though, have warned the Blues their demand from Atletico Madrid to play the on-loan goalkeeper was against the rules.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid and defending champions will lock horns in the first semis.
Madrid were made to hold on after their 3-0 first leg lead was almost wiped out in Dortmund. In the end, Carlo Ancelotti`s men held on for a 3-2 aggregate win.
Bayern Munich knocked out English club Arsenal in the last 16 and then Manchester United in the quarter-finals.
In the Europa League semi-final draw, Spanish clubs Sevilla and Valencia were paired against each other while Portugal`s Benfica will take on Italian giants Juventus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015