Champions League draw: Chelsea meet Atletico, Real to take on Bayern
Nyon (Switzerland): Defending champions Bayern Munich will take on Spanish giants Real Madrid in the first semi-final of the UEFA Champions League while England`s Chelsea have been drawn against Spain`s Atletico Madrid in the draw held here Friday.
The first legs of the semi-finals are to be played April 22-23 and the second legs April 29-30.
Chelsea earned their place in the last four after recovering from a 1-3 first leg deficit to beat Paris Saint-Germain on away goals in the last round.
However, there is confusion over the participation of Atletico`s on-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. The gangly Belgian international is contracted to Chelsea but has been on loan to Atletico for the past three seasons.
Earlier, the Spanish club`s president Enrique Cerezo told Spanish radio that due to some contractual obligations with Chelsea Atletico would require to stump up something in the region of six million euros if Courtois was to play against his parent club.
UEFA, though, have warned the Blues their demand from Atletico Madrid to play the on-loan goalkeeper was against the rules.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid and defending champions will lock horns in the first semis.
Madrid were made to hold on after their 3-0 first leg lead was almost wiped out in Dortmund. In the end, Carlo Ancelotti`s men held on for a 3-2 aggregate win.
Bayern Munich knocked out English club Arsenal in the last 16 and then Manchester United in the quarter-finals.
In the Europa League semi-final draw, Spanish clubs Sevilla and Valencia were paired against each other while Portugal`s Benfica will take on Italian giants Juventus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown