Champions League: Galatasaray vs Manchester United - Preview
Istanbul: Galatasaray suffered a shock home defeat to 12th-placed Karabukspor at the weekend, but with Champions League progression at stake Fatih Terim can at least take solace in the fact he has virtually a full squad to pick from as Manchester United visit on Tuesday.
Czech defender Tomas Ujfalusi remains a long-term absentee for the Turkish champions after injuring his knee against Galatasaray’s reserves in late August, but he is the only player definitely ruled out.
Right-back Sabri Sarioglu (knock) is doubtful but would be an unlikely starter even if fit due to the presence of Emmanuel Eboue, while Johan Elmander made a return to action at the weekend following a thigh problem and will most probably be involved from the bench.
Manchester United’s own injury list is looking a lot shorter these days too with just the two players set to miss out should everything go to plan for Sir Alex Ferguson, whose side have already qualified.
The Scot has left a host of star names out of his squad for the trip to Turkey, with Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie, Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs, David De Gea, Antonio Valencia and Paul Scholes all rested.
Nani (hamstring) and Nemanja Vidic (knee) will also not be involved.
Sir Alex has also confirmed that Phil Jones will play after being named on the bench against the Canaries, with the England international pushing for his first start of the season.
• Galatasaray have scored four goals in this season`s Champions League so far, all of which have been netted by Burak Yilmaz (pictured right).
• The Turkey international scored a `perfect` hat-trick in their last match against Cluj.
• Four of Manchester United`s nine goals in the group have come in the last 15 minutes of matches.
• Michael Carrick scored the only goal when the two sides met at Old Trafford earlier in the season.
• The last time United faced Galatasaray in Turkey was in 1993, as a 0-0 draw saw Sir Alex`s side crash out of the competition.
• This season is the first year since 2006-07 that Gala have been in the Champions League.
• United have already guaranteed that they will finish top of Group H after winning all four of their matches so far.
• The Turks on the other hand are in second place with four points, joint with Cluj, meaning they cannot afford to drop any more points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje