Champions League pressure is on Mourinho: Alex Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says the pressure is on Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho to win the Champions League.
The Spanish giants are 13 points behind Barcelona in the Liga title race and the Madrid coach has already written off their chances of catching the Catalan side.
And, while United are still realistically challenging on three fronts this season, Ferguson expects the former Chelsea boss to focus his attention on Europe`s elite club competition.
Ahead of United`s Champions League last-16 first leg in Madrid on Wednesday, the Scot told reporters: “Their target is the European Cup this year.
“They got a bad start in the league and they’re chasing their tails because Barcelona’s form is incredible. So I think Jose has set his sights on the European Cup this year, there’s no doubt about that.
“He’d be the only person to win the European Cup with three different teams, so it’s a fantastic challenge for him.
“I think the European Cup has always been important to him. He’s done a great job there, he’s got a terrific squad of players. But there’s no secret to his desire to win the European Cup.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region