Champions League pressure is on Mourinho: Alex Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says the pressure is on Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho to win the Champions League.
The Spanish giants are 13 points behind Barcelona in the Liga title race and the Madrid coach has already written off their chances of catching the Catalan side.
And, while United are still realistically challenging on three fronts this season, Ferguson expects the former Chelsea boss to focus his attention on Europe`s elite club competition.
Ahead of United`s Champions League last-16 first leg in Madrid on Wednesday, the Scot told reporters: “Their target is the European Cup this year.
“They got a bad start in the league and they’re chasing their tails because Barcelona’s form is incredible. So I think Jose has set his sights on the European Cup this year, there’s no doubt about that.
“He’d be the only person to win the European Cup with three different teams, so it’s a fantastic challenge for him.
“I think the European Cup has always been important to him. He’s done a great job there, he’s got a terrific squad of players. But there’s no secret to his desire to win the European Cup.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon