Champions League pressure is on Mourinho: Alex Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says the pressure is on Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho to win the Champions League.
The Spanish giants are 13 points behind Barcelona in the Liga title race and the Madrid coach has already written off their chances of catching the Catalan side.
And, while United are still realistically challenging on three fronts this season, Ferguson expects the former Chelsea boss to focus his attention on Europe`s elite club competition.
Ahead of United`s Champions League last-16 first leg in Madrid on Wednesday, the Scot told reporters: “Their target is the European Cup this year.
“They got a bad start in the league and they’re chasing their tails because Barcelona’s form is incredible. So I think Jose has set his sights on the European Cup this year, there’s no doubt about that.
“He’d be the only person to win the European Cup with three different teams, so it’s a fantastic challenge for him.
“I think the European Cup has always been important to him. He’s done a great job there, he’s got a terrific squad of players. But there’s no secret to his desire to win the European Cup.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy