Champions League Preview: Malaga vs Borussia Dortmund
Madrid: Malaga can be expected to name much the same team that played against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday. Vitorino Antunes will continue at left-back in the place of long-term injury victim, Eliseu, who is their only major absence.
They are expected to shuffle the pack up front, though. Joaquin is likely to push out to the right wing, with Julio Baptista dropping back into the No.10 role, with either Javier Saviola or Roque Santa Cruz replacing Pedro Morales in the XI.
Borussia Dortmund will have the fortune of being able to field Marcel Schmelzer, who broke his nose against Stuttgart on Saturday, but can wear a protective mask and play with the injury.
Mats Hummels has been training, but is unlikely to be risked at centre-back, with Felipe Santana set to continue. Ilkay Gundogan and Sven Bender should be given the nod in midfield over Sebastian Kehl and Nuri Sahin.
• Malaga have never faced German opposition in Europe before.
• Coach Manuel Pellegrini (pictured, right) also took Villarreal to the semi-finals of the Champions League in their debut campaign in the competition back in 2005-06.
• Martin Demichelis and Roque Santa Cruz both played for Dortmund`s arch rivals Bayern Munich.
• Borussia Dortmund drew 2-2 on their last two trips to Spain, against Real Madrid this season and Malaga`s Andalusian rivals Sevilla in December 2010.
• Jurgen Klopp`s side are one of two unbeaten teams left in the Champions League this season. Juventus are the other.
• Robert Lewandowski`s winner against Stuttgart on Saturday was his ninth in his last nine Bundesliga games.