Champions League: Xavi banking on home support for semis berth
Barcelona: Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez is optimistic about his side reaching the Champions League semifinals on Wednesday night.
The Spain international was rested for Barca`s 5-0 triumph at home to Mallorca Saturday night as he looks to protect a hamstring injury that has troubled him over the past month, but will be in the starting 11 for the second leg of Barca`s quarter-final at Camp Nou against Paris Saint Germain.
Barca go into the game with a slight advantage after a 2-2 draw in Paris a week ago, but also with the feeling they should have brought a better result back home after twice having taken the lead through Lionel Messi and a penalty which he himself scored in the closing minutes, however, they were twice pegged back, with a goal from Zlatan Ibrahimovich, which should have been ruled out for offside and from a deflected shot by Blaise Matudi.
"With a cooler head now, we can take a more positive balance from the result: it is a 2-2 draw away from home, but when you look at that game it leaves you with a bad sensation, because when you go 2-1 up in almost the 90th minute and they equalize in the last move of the game, it is irritating, but it is not a bad result," said Xavi in an interview with UEFA.
"We have 90 minutes in front of us, we are playing at home and with our fans, who will be right behind us," he added.
The Paris game was expensive for Barca in terms of injuries as they lost Messi with a slight hamstring injury, while Javier Mascherano will be out for six weeks after damaging knee ligaments.
"That was the worst thing about the game; they are important losses," admitted Xavi.
Messi posted a message on one of his social media websites on Sunday that he was `OK` and it looks as if he will be fit enough to take his place in the subs` bench on Wednesday, although it is unlikely he will be risked from the start, with Cesc Fabregas or Christian Tello, who both performed well against Mallorca.
Barca are set for a Wembley return, where they were crowned European Champions after defeating Manchester United in 2011 and Sampdoria in 1992.
"We all want things to work out well. Wembley has given us a lot of joy as we have won two finals there. With the final there again this year, we are more motivated than ever, but we know there is still a long way to go and it will not be easy," said Xavi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly