Chelsea accused of trying to `fix` Dutch football league
Johannesburg: Premier League leaders Chelsea, which financially backs Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem, has reportedly been accused of trying to `fix` the Dutch football league.
Vitesse, who have traditionally battled Ajax Amsterdam at the top of the Dutch league, have won just three of their last 11 matches, with the team coached by Peter Bosz 12 points behind Ajax and out of contention for the title.
According to Sport24, former Vitesse owner Merab Jordania said that Chelsea does not want the club to win the league because both cannot compete in the Champions League given that UEFA prevents two clubs under the same ownership from competing in the same competition.
However, former club technical director Ted van Leeuwen dismissed the allegations, saying that even though Chelsea is in control at Vitesse as it covers part of the Vitesse payroll and loans a certain number of its players, however, Chelsea is only concerned for the good progress of the players.
The club`s major shareholder, Russian businessman Alexander Chigrininsky, who is a friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, dismissed Jordania`s claims as `lies driven by jealousy`.
A statement from the Dutch Football Federation, KNVB, said they would be looking for `clarification on `Jordania`s allegations` and asked Vitesse to `give an explanation of their organisational structure and the way it is working`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy