Chelsea can beat Manchester United to the Premier League title: Cahill
London: The Blues defender believes his side can bridge the 11-point gap between themselves and the current league leaders after they cruised to an 8-0 victory over Aston Villa.
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill has insisted that the Blues remain in contention for the Premier League title after they recorded an 8-0 victory over Aston Villa on Sunday.
Manchester United are currently 11 points ahead of Chelsea, who have a game in hand following their visit to Japan for the Club World Cup.
The Blues began the season in fine form before falling away, but Cahill believes Sir Alex Ferguson`s team can be caught after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Swansea City.
"No doubt," he told talkSPORT when asked if Chelsea could still compete for the title. "Like you`ve seen today, [Manchester United have] slipped a couple of points.
"They are a very strong outfit and have been there many, many times, so it will be tough, but all we can do is try not to drop many points now and with performances like that we won`t go far wrong.
"Obviously it is a big gap but we can only go out and get results."
Chelsea had seven different scorers in the demolition of Paul Lambert`s side as they equalled their biggest winning margin in the Premier League era.
And Cahill hopes that Rafael Benitez`s men have sent a message to the rest of the division having now won consecutive league games for the first time since October.
"Everything came together for us," he enthused. "We were good defensively, created a lot of chances and kept pushing and pushing until the 90th minute. It`s a rare scoreline - we`ve shown what we can do."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read