Chelsea can beat Manchester United to the Premier League title: Cahill
London: The Blues defender believes his side can bridge the 11-point gap between themselves and the current league leaders after they cruised to an 8-0 victory over Aston Villa.
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill has insisted that the Blues remain in contention for the Premier League title after they recorded an 8-0 victory over Aston Villa on Sunday.
Manchester United are currently 11 points ahead of Chelsea, who have a game in hand following their visit to Japan for the Club World Cup.
The Blues began the season in fine form before falling away, but Cahill believes Sir Alex Ferguson`s team can be caught after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Swansea City.
"No doubt," he told talkSPORT when asked if Chelsea could still compete for the title. "Like you`ve seen today, [Manchester United have] slipped a couple of points.
"They are a very strong outfit and have been there many, many times, so it will be tough, but all we can do is try not to drop many points now and with performances like that we won`t go far wrong.
"Obviously it is a big gap but we can only go out and get results."
Chelsea had seven different scorers in the demolition of Paul Lambert`s side as they equalled their biggest winning margin in the Premier League era.
And Cahill hopes that Rafael Benitez`s men have sent a message to the rest of the division having now won consecutive league games for the first time since October.
"Everything came together for us," he enthused. "We were good defensively, created a lot of chances and kept pushing and pushing until the 90th minute. It`s a rare scoreline - we`ve shown what we can do."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened