Chelsea complete Diego Costa move
London: Spain striker Diego Costa has completed his transfer to Chelsea from Atletico Madrid, the English Premier League side announced Tuesday.
The Brazil-born forward had long been linked with a move to the London side and completion of the deal appeared to be imminent after the Blues said earlier this month they had met the buy-out clause for the 25-year-old, whose transfer transfer fee could be in the region of £32 million ($55 million, 40 million euros).
"Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce Diego Costa has today (Tuesday) completed his transfer from Atletico Madrid by signing a five-year contract," a statement from the London club said.
"He will join up with the first team for our pre-season European training camp next week."
Costa scored 35 goals for Atletico last season as they won the Spanish title and reached the Champions League final, only to lose in extra-time to city rivals Real Madrid after they had defeated Chelsea in the semi-final.
His desire to represent Spain, rather than Brazil, at this year`s World Cup in his homeland backfired spectacularly as the reigning champions crashed out in the first round.
Costa joins former Arsenal and Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas in moving from Spain to Stamford Bridge this pre-season.
"I am very happy to sign for Chelsea," Costa told his new club`s website. "Everybody knows it is a big club in a very competitive league, and I am very excited to get started in England with a fantastic coach and team-mates.
"Having played against Chelsea last season I know the high quality of the squad I am joining.
"I would like to thank everybody at Atletico who made me into the player I am, it was an incredible time for me, but now I am starting a new adventure and I hope to win many trophies with Chelsea."
Despite his World Cup travails, Costa appears to have a big fan in Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, with the Portuguese complaining that a lack of strikers -- despite the presence of Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and Samuel Eto`o at Stamford Bridge -- prevented the third-placed Blues from surpassing Premier League winners Manchester City and runners-up Liverpool last season.
Chelsea play RZ Pellets on July 23 before further pre-season matches in Slovenia, the Netherlands, Germany and Hungary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark