Chelsea confident of new Terry deal
London: Chelsea are confident veteran defender John Terry will "amicably" agree a new contract in the near future, assistant coach Steve Holland said Friday.
Former England centre-back Terry has reportedly been offered a new contract by the west London club but on half his current salary.
However, Hollland denied any talk of a tense atmosphere between the club and their 33-year-old stalwart, while suggesting two more senior players in England duo Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole were both on the brink of signing new deals as well.
"John has had an outstanding season; we have the best defensive record in the Premier League and he`s played in almost all of that and been a major part of it all," said Holland, ahead of Saturday`s Premier League clash with bottom-of-the-table Sunderland at Stamford Bridge.
"I know that John wants to stay at Chelsea, and Chelsea want John to stay, so hopefully that situation can be concluded amicably over the next few weeks.
"It`s the same situation (with Lampard and Cole), we`re dealing with not just normal players, but magnificent servants for this club over a long period.
"So full respect will be given for those players." Chelsea are currently second in the table, just two points behind leaders Liverpool with four matches remaining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog