Chelsea fans turn on Torres & call for Demba Ba
London: Chelsea fans’ frustrations with much-maligned striker Fernando Torres appeared to reach boiling point on Wednesday night, with supporters booing the Spaniard and calling for Demba Ba during the Capital One Cup defeat to Swansea.
The Spanish striker started the game for the Blues but it was another Spaniard who left his mark on the game as Michu scored and helped the Swans to a superb 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge.
Torres, who was making his 100th appearance for the Blues, managed 81 minutes but it was another disappointing performance, with the striker rarely threatening before being hooked in the second half.
Throughout the match Torres was targeted by sections of the Chelsea support, with boos audible, while chants for Demba Ba echoed around Stamford Bridge as the new signing watched on from the bench.
Rafa Benitez eventually gave in to the incessant crowd and introduced Ba with just under 10 minutes to go, and during that short cameo he made an impact, twice going close before having a goal disallowed for being marginally offside.
Danny Graham added a second for Swansea late on, while the Chelsea fans` annoyance towards Torres soon switched to Benitez as chants for Roberto Di Matteo rang out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price