‘Chelsea made a big mistake in not signing Willian’
Donetsk: Shakhtar Donetsk boss Mircea Lucescu has urged star man Willian to make Chelsea pay in Tuesday`s Champions League clash after confirming that the Blues had been knocked back in attempts to sign the Brazilian in the summer.
Despite Roberto Di Matteo having completed moves for the likes of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin before the transfer window slammed shut, Lucescu revealed that the Champions League winners also tried to sign Shakhtar`s gifted midfield playmaker.
The Ukrainian side`s manager insists that Chelsea`s offer was too low and, ahead of the crucial Champions League Group E clash at the Donbass Arena on Tuesday, Lucescu has called on Willian to show Di Matteo he made a "big mistake" in not completing a deal for the 24-year-old Brazil ace.
"Willian was far away from Chelsea," Lucescu told reporters.
"They didn`t even get anywhere near to our requirements, having done nothing to make my promises to Willian come true.”
"Speaking specifically about the amounts, they officially offered the sum for which we had bought him young.”
"I would really like them to highly appreciate his true value tomorrow and realise that they made a big mistake."
Blues boss Roberto Di Matteo insisted he had no role in negotiations to sign Willian, but did hail the former Corinthians man as a "fantastic player".
"As an assistant (at the time) I wasn`t involved in those conversations but Willian is a fantastic player with good qualities," the Italian commented in his pre-match press conference.
"We have a good squad with good players and I don`t know where his future is, but the way he is playing here he looks quite happy."
Lucescu also noted that Chelsea showed an interest in defender Darijo Srna during Carlo Ancelotti`s reign at Stamford Bridge, while also joking he was keen for club owner Roman Abramovich to show an interest in all of his players at Shakhtar.
He concluded: "Several years ago, I had a conversation with Ancelotti, and he was interested in Srna.”
"My wish is that, after tomorrow`s match, Chelsea get interested in all of our players."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing