‘Chelsea made a big mistake in not signing Willian’
Donetsk: Shakhtar Donetsk boss Mircea Lucescu has urged star man Willian to make Chelsea pay in Tuesday`s Champions League clash after confirming that the Blues had been knocked back in attempts to sign the Brazilian in the summer.
Despite Roberto Di Matteo having completed moves for the likes of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin before the transfer window slammed shut, Lucescu revealed that the Champions League winners also tried to sign Shakhtar`s gifted midfield playmaker.
The Ukrainian side`s manager insists that Chelsea`s offer was too low and, ahead of the crucial Champions League Group E clash at the Donbass Arena on Tuesday, Lucescu has called on Willian to show Di Matteo he made a "big mistake" in not completing a deal for the 24-year-old Brazil ace.
"Willian was far away from Chelsea," Lucescu told reporters.
"They didn`t even get anywhere near to our requirements, having done nothing to make my promises to Willian come true.”
"Speaking specifically about the amounts, they officially offered the sum for which we had bought him young.”
"I would really like them to highly appreciate his true value tomorrow and realise that they made a big mistake."
Blues boss Roberto Di Matteo insisted he had no role in negotiations to sign Willian, but did hail the former Corinthians man as a "fantastic player".
"As an assistant (at the time) I wasn`t involved in those conversations but Willian is a fantastic player with good qualities," the Italian commented in his pre-match press conference.
"We have a good squad with good players and I don`t know where his future is, but the way he is playing here he looks quite happy."
Lucescu also noted that Chelsea showed an interest in defender Darijo Srna during Carlo Ancelotti`s reign at Stamford Bridge, while also joking he was keen for club owner Roman Abramovich to show an interest in all of his players at Shakhtar.
He concluded: "Several years ago, I had a conversation with Ancelotti, and he was interested in Srna.”
"My wish is that, after tomorrow`s match, Chelsea get interested in all of our players."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!