Chelsea midfielder Mikel given three-game ban for part in Clattenburg row
London: The Football Association have announced that Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has been given a three-match ban and fined 60,000 pounds for "using threatening and/or abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour" in the aftermath of his side`s game against Manchester United in October.
The Nigerian international stormed into the match officials` changing room after the Blues` 3-2 defeat at Stamford Bridge and angrily confronted referee Mark Clattenburg, after allegedly being informed by team-mate Ramires that the official had called him a "monkey".
The referee was recently cleared of any misbehaviour, and Mikel`s personal disciplinary hearing will keep him out of Saturday`s match against Sunderland.
The statement on the FA`s official website read: "Chelsea`s John Obi Mikel has been given a three-match suspension to begin with immediate effect and fined £60,000 following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today (Thursday 6 December 2012).
"Mikel had requested a personal hearing after admitting an FA charge of using threatening and/or abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour.
"The breach of FA Rule E3 was in relation to an incident which occurred in the match official`s changing room at the end of Chelsea`s fixture against Manchester United on 28 October 2012.
"The Regulatory Commission’s independent chairman Christopher Quinlan QC emphasised that the Independent Regulatory Commission accepted, as did The FA, that at the time he threatened the referee the player genuinely believed that the referee had racially abused him.
"But for that factor the suspension would have been significantly longer.
"Subsequently the FA investigated the allegation that the referee racially abused the player and found that there was not a case for him to answer."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you