Chelsea races ahead to sign Brazilian midfielder Oscar
London: Chelsea is looking set to beat Tottenham Hotspurs, which is managed by their former manager Andrea Villas-Boas, in race to sign highly-rated Brazilian midfielder Oscar in a deal understood to be worth more than 22 million pounds.
Spurs had hoped to steal in ahead of some of Europe’s leading clubs last week to secure the 20 year-old from his club Internacional.
However, Chelsea is now trying to hijack the deal and is expected to be successful.
If Chelsea succeeds to sign Oscar, it would come as a big blow to Villas-Boas who had identified Oscar as a key signing during his ill-fated regime at Stamford Bridge.
Oscar has already earned five senior caps for Brazil and has also been included in his country’s squad for London 2012, a newspaper reports.
He will join several other Brazilians at Chelsea, including Ramires, David Luiz and Lucas Piazón.
His arrival will be another significant sign that Chelsea is not only determined to improve their squad but also working hard to reduce the average age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened